Counting Calories and Fat Content
Shrimp is one of America’s favorite seafood. They are low in fat and calories and have a relatively neutral flavor that makes them a natural addition to salads, pastas, soups and stir-fried dishes.However, shrimp have a bad reputation for high cholesterol. So, does that mean you have to stay clear of shrimps?
There’s an old research, back in 1996, from the Rockefeller University published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that concluded, thus, consuming shrimp does not adversely affect cholesterol levels. The American Heart Association modified its dietary guidelines in 2001 to reflect that moderate consumption of shellfish, such as shrimp, can be part of a heart-healthy diet. In that study, a high shrimp diet contributed 7% to bad cholesterol (LDL), but it also raised good cholesterol (HDL) by 12% and lowered triglycerides by 13%. That’s a total of 25% with a net improvement of 18%.
A 2015 study suggests that low HDL levels are associated with total inflammation in relation to heart disease. Therefore, a higher HDL is desirable. Because of shrimp’s HDL benefits, you can enjoy it as part of a heart-smart diet.
What cooking methods do you use for shrimps?
It makes a big difference when you evaluate the fat and calories in shrimp. The way it is cooked changes the nutritional profile substantially.
Baked, broiled or grilled shrimp without fat adds no extra fat and the calories remain low. If you bake, broil or grill shrimp with butter, you add 15% more to calories and twice the amount of fat. If you eat floured, breaded or battered shrimp fried in oil you’ll consume 40% less protein but 70% more fat. When you prepare the seafood without added breading or fat, shrimp can be a low-calorie, low-fat food source.
Shrimp does provide cholesterol, but very little fat and saturated fat. In 2015, the USDA Dietary Guidelines removed the specific limit for cholesterol. They still recommend that you choose foods lower in cholesterol but recommend that you focus on limiting saturated and trans fat intake, keeping your intake below ten percent of your total calories per day.
Many Ways with Shrimp in Bellevue
At Sushi In Joy, we serve fried shrimps that customers enjoy. We also have shrimps on our sushi, soups and salads, and the all-time favorite shrimp tempura. There are many ways to enjoy shrimp as we prepare it in different ways.